Acid and Alkaline Foods

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on tumblr
Share on skype
Share on email

The homeostasis or normal conditions of your body are often measured by how much acid is in your body or how alkaline your body is. If your body is balanced, then the pH levels are going to keep away infection and strengthen your immune system. Your body is naturally alkaline in your blood and acidic in your stomach. Your body keeps plenty of alkaline on hand when there is too much acid in your body from the kinds of foods that you eat. If you end up with too high of an acidity level in your body, you will be at risk for health problems like arthritis.

The key to having great health is to keep your body more alkaline, and you can do that by fighting acidity that would lead to infections, AIDS, allergies, and diabetes. A high acidity level will cause the growth of fungi and bacteria in the body and lead to a number of health problems.

Many people don’t think that high acidity levels are a problem, because your body will take care of the imbalance on its own, in many cases. In general, the acidity issue isn’t much of a problem due to the way the body restores its own pH balance.

Your body needs a pH level of about 7.4 to thrive, and your body’s own respiratory and renal system will regulate that level for you.

Why Your Body Is Over-Acidic

There are a number of reasons why your body could have too much acid in it. A major reason is the amount of unhealthy foods you eat. Consuming too much caffeine, tobacco or sugar is not good for the pH levels. If you eat a lot of candy or baked goods or drink a lot of soda, then you probably won’t have a very good pH level.

Not all acidic foods are unhealthy for you. There are some that are necessary to your nutritional balance and that you should be eating. You should only have about 25% of your food to be acid-containing. That mean that the remaining 75% should all be alkaline.

How You Can Maintain a pH Balance through Diet

You will want to begin by using alkaline water and alkaline juices as part of your diet. Try to keep your diet around 50-80% alkaline. If you cook foods, those will tend to be more acidic. Fruits, veggies and wholegrains are great for acid levels. You can also use apple cider vinegar to balance out your body’s pH levels.

This may not be a very pleasant tasting drink, but you can try cinnamon or grape versions that you may like better. You can also mix it with olive oil and add it to your salads as a dressing.

Our civilisation is much different from what it used to be, and we are no longer simple hunter-gatherers. We need foods that offer potassium instead of the sodium that we commonly consume in our foods. The bicarbonate that we should be getting is being overpowered by chloride, and this is all having an effect on our pH levels.

You can also treat your alkaline level problem with some water, lemon juice and baking soda. This will help treat gas and indigestion as well. Sometimes, the problem of acidity is due to environmental changes, such as changes in the soil and the way food is grown, leading to more metabolic acidosis.

What the Research Shows

An alkaline diet can help improve mortality and morbidity rates, according to some studies. It can prevent chronic disease and reduce the effects of aging. Of course, this area of medicine could do with some further studying.

Metabolic acidosis in children has been shown to stunt growth and diminish the release of growth hormones. This can be corrected with k+ citrate or bicarbonate to boost stature and the release of growth hormones.

Using alkaline minerals could also reduce back pain. Alkalinity has even been shown to improve chemotherapy results.


If you want to boost your bone health, prevent muscle wasting and stop other kinds of disease, then you should eat more fruits and vegetables for a better Na/K ratio. That means your sodium to potassium ratio will improve. The alkaline foods you eat will improve heart health and aid cognition and memory. In fact, alkaline diets can offer all sorts of health benefits that you could use and that could lead to a better, happier and healthier life.

Shopping Cart