Bitter-tasting herbs were once an important part of Native American, European and Chinese diets. Medicines made from bitter herbs, such as Swedish Bitters, are used as a digestive and are beneficial for the intestinal tract and good gut health. The concept of a Swedish Bitter herbal blend began somewhere in the 1500’s; today this formula is one of the most popular herbal tinctures. It has many versatile uses besides its use as a digestive bitter.
Indications: This multi-purpose product is suitable for a wide range of applications, such as to stimulate digestion, appetite, bile flow – and maintain healthy digestive function.
Swedish Bitters also contains Aloe traditionally used as a stimulant laxative to relieve constipation and Black Cohosh traditionally used to relieve menstruation pain and promote menstrual flow, in western herbal medicine.
Oral use: Adults: Take 20 mL in 100 mL of water, juice or herb tea 30 minutes before meals three times daily.
External use: Soak a piece of gauze in undiluted Swedish Bitters for the healing/repair of skin and to relieve insect bites, swellings and inflamed joints (apply for 2-4 hours and cover with bandage).
Apply to forehead or back of head/neck for 15 minutes for the temporary relief of headaches.
Gargle: for the relief of a sore throat or toothache (add 60 mL Swedish Bitters to 250 mL of lukewarm water).
Each 20 mL dose contains tinctures equivalent to dried:
- Aloe (Aloe ferox) leaf inner juice 133.34 mg
- Senna (Cassia angustifolia) leaf 133.34 mg
- Rhubarb (Rheum officinale) root & rhizome 133.34 mg
- Myrrh* (Commiphora molmol) stem bark oleoresin 85.72 mg
- Zedoary* (Curcuma zedoaria) rhizome 152.38 mg
- Manna ash (Fraxinus ornus) stem bark oleoresin 133.34 mg
- Carline thistle (Carlina acaulis) root 66.66 mg
- Angelica* (Angelica archangelic) root and rhizome 152.38 mg
- Black cohosh* (Cimicifuga racemosa) root & rhizome 19.06 mg
- Valerian* (Valeriana officinalis) root & rhiz & stolon 19.06 mg
- Cinnamon* (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) stem bark inner 19.06mg
- Cardamom* (Elettaria cardamomum) fruit 19.06 mg
- Saffron (Crocus sativus) stigma & style 2.66 mg
non-active ingredient Camphor 133.34 mg
*these ingredients are also known as theriac.
Read label and use only as directed. Contains alcohol (ethanol) 40% v/v.
If symptoms persist, talk to your health professional. Use in children under 12 years is not recommended. Drink plenty of water. Prolonged use may cause serious bowel problems. Do not use when abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting are present, or if you develop diarrhoea. Do not take if pregnant or breast feeding without the advice of a healthcare professional. Warning: In very rare cases, Black cohosh has been associated with liver failure. If you are experiencing yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes, dark urine, nausea, vomiting, unusual tiredness, weakness, stomach or abdominal pain, and/or loss of appetite, you should stop using this product and see your doctor.
ISBN: 9315915008562 SKU: 73878