Are you feeling worn down and sluggish? This happens to people a lot during the holidays, but you can feel like you need a pick-me-up any time of the year. Your body can feel overtired and lacking energy if you are overindulging and not being careful about what you eat. Too much alcohol, fatty foods or too much sugar can make you fell less than your best.
If that’s how you feel, then you may benefit from a detox. You can start off the new year or the new week with a healthy diet and a fresh start. Detoxing is something that cultures around the world have been doing for centuries, and it is a method of refreshing your body and cleansing it thoroughly. We have put together a list of ways that you can detoxify your body starting right now.
- Many times, we pack a lot of stuff into our days, trying to fit in as many things as we can without giving our body the time it needs to relax and sleep. It will help to go to bed early, skip the alcohol and eat a light dinner for a few days. After getting some restful and plentiful sleep, you will feel so much better., and that’s because your body detoxes itself when you sleep.
- Your body is a detox factory, and you have to get the blood flowing and the organs working to get rid of the toxins. You can do that by doing some light exercise from time to time. You don’t have to overwork yourself. Just get your heart rate up and get air pumping into your body at an accelerated rate.
Abstain from meats, dairy and breads-
- No matter what your diet is like, eating too much of these foods can be unhealthy for you. If you eat salads, fish, veggies and fruits instead, you will feel so much better and you will be letting your body detoxify faster.
Eat green foods-
- Everyone knows they should eat more veggies. Green vegetables are full of a substance known as chlorophyll, which makes food for plants out of sunlight. For us, chlorophyll gets rid of heavy metals and toxins in our body. That improves our digestion and detoxifies the body, and you can find it in spinach, kale and most green veggies, or you can just buy it as a liquid.
Work on your digestive health-
- If you eat too much fatty foods, dairy or meat or drink too much alcohol, then your digestive system is going to get out of whack. You need to have good gut bacteria and a healthy balance of it to detoxify your body. Probiotics are the best way to work on that digestive health and get the good bacteria levels back in balance, but you need to couple that with some healthy dieting habits for a successful detox.
Clean up the colon-
- If you have a healthy bowel movement every day that is of decent size and easy to pass, then you are on the right track for healthy body. If you eat too much of the wrong kinds of foods, however, then this isn’t going to be the case, and you can fix that by using a high fibre cleanser every now and then.
Keep up your liquid intake-
- We don’t always get enough liquids, particularly water. It’s important you your digestive health and your body’s toxicity levels that you drink plenty of alkaline water every day. You may want to try blk. alkaline water, which is different from spring water in that it has tons of antioxidants and amino acids. This is great for getting rid of toxins in your body and boosting your digestive health.
Take a special bath-
- Baths an important for cleanliness, but if you bathe in Epsom salts and essential oils, you can put your body through a process known as reverse osmosis. This is done to river water to purify it by water treatment plants, and when you perform reverse osmosis on your body, it makes a lot of the toxins come out. You can add some peppermint oil to the bath or something else with detoxifying properties. You will then sweat out a lot of the toxins that have built up in your body.
Find an alternative for morning coffee-
- Now for some people, talking about doing away with morning coffee is almost sacrilegious. However, if you have done some of the steps we already listed, then you won’t feel like you need coffee as much. You can use green tea in the morning and still get the caffeine you crave, and it will be so much better for you. Green tea actually detoxifies your body and counteracts some the harmful effects of regular coffee drinking.
Provide support for your liver-
- Your liver is responsible for detoxing your body naturally. It makes toxins pass out of your bloodstream, and you want to support its functions for decreased toxicity levels. One of the best ways to boost your liver functions is to use St. Mary’s thistle. This herb comes in liquid and tablet form.
Please be careful about making any drastic changes to your diet. It’s always best to consult with your health professional before you make any major changes to your diet or exercise habits, especially if you have pre-existing medical conditions.